Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Rain Delay

The beginning of this 80 mile day was delayed first by rain and later by yet another flat tire. Mary got lost in Rochester. I got lost in Rochester. The map gave one route. The map detail for Rochester gave a different one. I stopped to ask directions from a sheriff. He was a stout young man with a very strong hand shake. I learned he’s been a sheriff for three years and it’s his day job. His real love is farming. He had a dairy farm with his father until three years ago. When he became a sheriff they sold the dairy cows. Now they raise belted Galloway cattle, a breed raised by Winston Churchill, that dates back to the 1600’s. They have two coats of hair which means they have less fat. They also like the grass in this area of New York. I learned quite a bit and could have learned more with more time.

While reentering the highway, I hit the brakes to wait for a semi resulting in triangular sliver of granite puncturing the new tire and tube. It was a slow leak and didn’t reveal itself until I was on the bike path beside the Eerie Canal. I was able to fix it and ride to meet Mary at a set of canal locks. That makes three flats in 5 days. Two of the tires are reusable, I just don’t trust them. One has several small nicks and the wire puncture. The cut from the granite sliver in the new one is right in the tread, and is large enough to pick up a piece of gravel repeating the same problem.

Mary’s right. This morning I continued my low mood from yesterday. Pastor Lester McClelland at the Spencerport Wesleyan Church reminded me of the verse, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9. This was very helpful. Later while biking I had an image of warrior guardian angels. This too was helpful and my mood lifted. The day went well and the gray clouds and rain also lifted.

Road kill addition: one large snapping turtle.

No comments: