Saturday, June 14, 2008

Farewell's and Blessings




After we left home (notice Mary driving?) and when we pulled away from the Pella Clinic late last Thursday morning, it was hard to believe that Mary and I were finally starting out on one of the biggest adventures of our lives. Could it really be true? Was it finally happening? It was hard to comprehend. All the planning and preparations were complete. We were moving ahead for better or for worse. It reminded me of getting married. Mary and I drove away from the Tracy Iowa church and I looked at my ring and remembered my vow and I thought, "So this is it. Now I'm married. How does this feel? I felt excited, relieved, apprehensive, curious and in love. And I felt sick. Which was true. Mary and I and half the wedding party came down with a bug or something that gave us a violent stomach flu. We spent the first night sick and the next day drinking SevenUp and passing Pepto Bismol between us. I left Pella with all the same feelings except being sick. We're off to a great start.

Over the last couple weeks there have been farewells and blessings from so many friends and colleagues, it's been a little overwhelming but very encouraging. Thank you everyone! One friend told me call him from the road. He asked me to describe the view from the top of a mountain after completeing a challenging climb.
A favorite prayer for bicyclist is the Irish blessing: "May the road rise to meet you.May the wind be always at your back.May the sun shine warm upon your face.And rains fall soft upon your fields.And until we meet again,May God hold you in the hollow of His hand."

Here's another one for anyone on a journey:
I lift up my eyes to the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip
he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD watches over you
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
The LORD will keep you from all harm
he will watch over your life;
the LORD will watch over your coming and going
now and forevermore.
Psalm 121

No comments: